There are several sites with Essential Oil Facts, but these sites can and often contradict each other. I am going to give you these 10 Facts I have found to be solid.
1. Essential Oils are natural compounds found in the Root, Bark, Leaf, Steam, Flower, Leaf, or Rind of the fruit. Some plants have different Essential Oils in a different part of the plant.
The Bitter Orange Tree (Citrus aurantium var. amara) is one of these
– From the Rind comes Orange Oil
– From the Flower comes Neroli Oil
– From the Leaves comes Petitgrain Oil
While all of these oils come from the same plant they are NOT the same oil. They do not have the same components or the same uses.
2. 1 drop of Peppermint oil is equal to 28 cups of peppermint tea! This oil is SUPER strong and needs to be used with caution. When it comes to Peppermint ALWAYS dilute.
3. The molecules in Essential Oils are so small they can penetrate cell membranes to help fight viruses. They also penetrate the cell walls of bacteria, and fungus also.
4. Essential Oils can get into the bloodstream within 30 seconds.
5. Essential Oils are 50 to 70 times more powerful than herbs.
6. It takes 10,000 roses to fill a single 5ml bottle (about the size of your thumb)! – It also takes 60 roses to create a single drop of Rose Otto oil. That’s just under 5 dozen roses!
Here is a fun way to learn about Cold Pressed Essential Oil with this DIY to make your own pressed Orange Oil, it will give you insight into how much work goes into so little product. DIY Orange Essential Oil
7. There are about 300 drops of Essential Oil in your 15ml bottle! If your bottle of Lavender cost $25 each drop only cost about $.08. Item 6 & 7 bring cost into perspective a bit.
8. The sense of smell is the only one of your sense tied directly to the Cerebral Cortex, all of the other sense have to be processed by some other part of the brain before they are acted on, the sense of smell is the only one not. Think of how fast you fell the heat from the stove when you put your hand down, but this signal is sent from the hand up the arm to the spinal cord, then up to the brain. Even with all of this it still does not go to the Cerebral Cortex first. Yet it happens so fast you cannot process how it happened; the sense of smell is even faster.
9. With Essential Oils, less is better, what do I mean? Use the least amount of oil you need to get the therapeutic benefit you need. Why? There are several reasons, cost-effectiveness, stainability (the oils come from plants, using less means more for others), the more you use the more likely you are to build up a toxicity to the components of the oils.
10. Essential Oils break down over time, they do not last forever. Some oils will only last a year before they start breaking down, some 3 years, and some the thicker oils can last 7 years. NOTE: Keep the bottles closed tightly, keep the oils cool (extended heat can cause the oils to break down), keep oils in dark bottles.
11. Bonus, Essential Oils are not Oils in the sense of OIL. They are more like a waxy oil, either way, they do not mix well with water. If you add them to water or a water-based product you will have to shake the product before each use to disperse the Essential Oils.
If you are interested in Young Living Oils Click Here
God Bless, namaste, and Oily on Down the Street